Saturday, June 10, 2017

Praise the Lord!!



Tirupati Venkateshwara Swamy has played hide and seek with our family. As a child, I never got to visit Tirupati. Whenever that topic arose, my father, in a  stern voice would say " Oh! There is this ancestral curse that would not allow us from visiting Tirupati!"  I poked him further when I was old enough to understand.

It turns out that, over a hundred years ago, one of my ancestors had died on his return from a padayatra of Tirupati. Remember, in those days, there was no flight, train or bus. People used to commute in bullock carts. For pilgrimages though, traveling in groups on foot ( Padayatra) was preferred.  So, my great ancestor had decided to relieve his soul from his body, on his way back, after his sumptuous prasadam of laddoo, which must then have been a 200 year-old  tradition by then. Lo and behold! The dogma in the family was set right there. All everyone had faithfully adhered.

Until in 1985. The rebel in me was not convinced. I had then told myself " his time was up, and so he had passed on. Why blame the Swamy for it? Also, if I visit Him, and his only response is to take my life away, then he is no God, which obviously cannot be true!". Youthful belligerence had prevailed ultimately. After I had joined the college of Engg, Guindy, Chennai , I had made , not one, but 7 trips to Tirumala and Tirupati. What had started off initially as a mark of rebellion had soon turned into a mini-infatuation with Balaji. My friends I made those trips, waited overnight in the serpentine queues without food, water or toilet-outs and endured pain. All for an under-60 second darshan of Him. But I never felt bad, for many reasons.

Firstly, I used to look forward to the trip, for not just the temple visit, but also hiking expeditions that invariably followed, in the nearby hills. Short, but sweet hiking trips with friends made it very, very enjoyable. None of us could afford any hiking gear, but that did not deter us. We had to be wary of the forest officials. the relative of one my friends was in the forest dept., and he arranged for the hikes, along pre-set paths, and kept it "safe and discreet".

Secondly, youth and company of friends had ensured that overnight waiting in the queue, was had turned out pleasant than waiting in the queue for a Rajinikanth movie ticket!

Thirdly, and most importantly, is the connect with the murthi (statue) of the Lord. I have to admit here, that every time I had visited, I used to sulk at the long wait. I used to tell myself " Why this obsession for the people? What is so great about this temple, that people are more than happy to wait out and have darshan? Chee! May not be worth at all!".   These murmurs within the cerebrum used to continue, even as I stood in the queues. Inch by inch, the goal would gradually come nearer. Weary legs, tired eyes and drooping shoulders would wish that the agony ended soon.

Until one reached the sanctum sanctorum. The shrill " Jarugandi, Jarugandi!!" notwithstanding, one glimpse of the Lord within that all-important 60 seconds, would invariably be enough to forget everything in this world. The pleasures and pain, the happiness and sorrows and all travails and tribulations, would, in a flash, be relegated to oblivion. There mere presence in front of that majestic form of the Lord, would put everything else in the back burner. Such is His radiance. The magnificent decorations on the imposing statue, shining in all splendour with gold and diamond on every inch of His body, would send the crowd into raptures. " Govindaaaa, Gooooovinda!!" filled the air. In an instant, I used to be transported to another world, forgetting everything else. Even today, I can swear by it. There is something unique about Lord Venkateshwara of Tirumala, which I do not find in most other temples. That wonderful and indescribable feeling can only be experienced.

For the believer and the non-believer alike, it does not matter whether you visit on foot, by air, by train, or by road. All I can say is - live that experience!







No comments:

How can India aspire to be a thought-leader?

Two seemly disjointed happenings triggered this article today.  One – I was walking down an old alley here in Singapore, where a signage in ...