Saturday, October 4, 2008

Warren Hastings and the Gita

I stumbled upon this article. I do not believe that the Bhagwat Gita needs recognition and acknowledgement of anyone in particular- it has survived at least a few thousand years, inspite of numerous cultural and military invasions- but it was interessting to note that the first Governor General of India was deeply interested in this Oriental Holy Book and the philosophies that it offered, so much so that he commissioned a translatory exercise.
http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/southasia/History/British/Hastings.html

On a more philosophical note, all the major religions of the world preach the same Utlimate Reality - the Brahmam, the Holy Spirit or Allah. None of these have a form or shape, per the individual definitions in the religous texts. And all of them have representatives to take humanity closer to this Ultimate Reality. I wonder why then we are perpetually fighting with each other, saying " my religion is better than yours" ... I think our energies are better spent going after this Ultimately Reality, or taking care of worldly matters in a peacful and happy life, as long as each one of us is alive for the 80 or 90 years ( on an average).
I would go one step further - it is even OK to be an Atheist or an Agnostic, as long as one feels peacful and happy while on this earth. Because, according to me, all religons are dessigned only with this end purpose in mind- stay peacful and happy as long as you are alive.
Cheers... Dilip

No comments:

The World Series

I don't know how many of you had watched the World Series match last night, between KKR and King's Punjab. I did, fully, to the last...