Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas cake from a departed soul



When I was a child
Full of gay abandon and wild.

We had some wonderful neighbours
Who made life worth living every moment.

The good Christians that they were
Never failed to attend the Sunday mass.

The buzzword for them, was love
Till date, to me, that is still is a treasure trove.

Vegetarians that we were
For cakes there was a lot of despair.

Every Christmas eve, in a large dish
They made egg-less cakes, to fulfil our wish.

The fact that they were specially made pastry
Made it all the more tasty.

The affection was nothing short of filial
Never did I take as trivial.

Their daughter, "sister" Grace was my senior
And none less than a mentor.

She went on to become a Physician
Though her parents wished she became the Church musician.

Grace then started to face the perfect storm
Pain became the new norm.

Passing away of parents, miscarriage and failed marriage
Life indeed was a huge bondage.

For her, with two sons, life was still in solitude
Though she was never short of fortitude.

Years passed, boys became men
Pillars of support to the lonely woman.

There was an eternal emptiness in her life
It appeared that her sibling's name was "strife".

Christ decided to put an end to her pain
After all,in life she had nothing more to gain.

For all her troubles, He had the perfect answer
And took her life away, in the name of cancer.

The news of death sent waves of shock
At life and death, I could only baulk.

Some people's life certainly remains a mystery
Though, in my mind, Grace will never be history.

On this Christmas day, I think of that family
To them I dedicate this homily.

The good Railway man, his teacher-wife
And "Sister Grace", who was all their life.

O Grace, on yet another Christmas eve
For you, my heart is full of bereave.

Will you bring back those fond memories
And all the mirth and funny stories?

Will you bring back, the childish innocence
That I experienced when I was in your ambience?

Will you bring back the smile on my face
When I see you face to face?

Will you again bake me that egg-less cake
When I meet you in heaven?











No comments:

The World Series

I don't know how many of you had watched the World Series match last night, between KKR and King's Punjab. I did, fully, to the last...