Sunday, February 14, 2016

My Valentine- 2016



I still remember
Those scared eyes
As you came into my house
On a hot afternoon.

You had to be dragged,
On all fours,
Into your chosen kennel,
Ready for a new life.

Into a new world,
To unknown people,
To unknown surroundings.
Your barks ended up in whimpers.

And how quickly you adapted
Yourself, into your new home
And showered me
With unstinted love.

Your rough and wet tongue
Turned into my daily alarm
As you licked my face out of sleep
With a gentle bark
As if remind me
Of my Office trip.

Everytime I chided you
For spilling food in a hurry,
Those apologetic prostrations
With the tail wagging gently
Like peacock feather
Head placed firmly on the ground
As your eyes rolled
Over every step of mine.
Oh! That was enough for me
To take you in my arms
And give you huggies.

Every Time I returned from work
Forlorn and tired,
You waited for me eagerly
At the doorstep
And as soon as you heard
My car draw in the patio
Your barks grew uncontrolled.

And before I knew, you used
To be all over me
And showered me
With those wet sniffs,
Gentle licks and wanton pranks.

I did not realize eighteen long years
Gone by, without my realizing.
The sunrays woke me up today,
I realized I had to rush to work
But wait! Where is that rough tongue?
Where is the everyday gentle bark?
Where are those fawning smooches?
Where are those captivating whimpers?

Just last week, I was planning
To make you my Valentine, this day!
But lo! It appears
That you have gone away
To meet St. Valentine himself,
In heaven, in eternity!

Photo: Courtesy - the Internet








No comments:

The World Series

I don't know how many of you had watched the World Series match last night, between KKR and King's Punjab. I did, fully, to the last...