Friday, February 26, 2016

Superstitious me

For a good part of last fortnight, my left eye had been twitching vociferously. This is not the first time this has happening. It has been there. On and off. Since my childhood. The only question usually was - is it the right eye or the left.

I still vividly recollect my mother telling me " Oh, the left eye twitching? For boys, that is not a good omen at all. Hey Muruga! Protect my son from all evils!".  Over time, I came to believe in that, and thought that the left eye twitching would mean impending trouble.

With youth dawning on me, the rationalist in me overtook mom's voice. And, over the years, I have read about remedies for twitching  on the internet. They ranged from applying hot fomentation, applying tear drops and yes, relaxing and sleeping well. Until the last few years, I had been practising the last two of the suggestions. And soon enough, the twitches had vanished - only to return last fortnight. With all that has been happening over the last few years for me personally, this time, my mom's voice had got a boost, inside my head. Was I going to stare at some trouble and disturbing situation very soon? God, help me!

But soon, the rationalist overpowered mom again. I told myself that I would get over this quickly. After all, I knew what to do. Soon, despite my irregular sleep, I had succeeded calming my mind and relax a lot, in spite of pressures from all quarters. The results were there to be seen. The twitching had stopped completely, since yesterday.

I heaved a sigh of relief. And dismissive of superstitions - " all these superstitions are leading the individual down the wrong path. Negative thoughts were unnecessarily gathering in my mind, and the recent traumas are adding fuel to the fire. I am glad I used my brain to overcome this physiological symptom. Bad event? My foot!" I am learning to get rid of all superstitions in my life one by one, since none of them, including this eye twitching being a bad omen, is working. Hail science! To hell with superstitions!

❤️ D ❤️

PS: ...   and , oh, yes! I forgot to mention...   something really terrible had happened at the workplace today, involving me and a colleague, and I am still rattled by it.




No comments:

The World Series

I don't know how many of you had watched the World Series match last night, between KKR and King's Punjab. I did, fully, to the last...