Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Mandolin Srinivas - two years on

On 19th Sep, two years ago, Mandolin Srinivas stopped providing divine music to earthly mortals. Perhaps God wanted him to do the same in the the heavens. 

Back in the 80s, I was representing SPIC-MACAY in my college, and had met him a few times over, at his house, in connection with programs in my college and elsewhere. I found him an extremely humble human being, soft spoken, with a lot of respect for elders, and an infectious, child-like enthusiasm for music, which lasted till his very last breath. When he played, the music simply flowed out of his hands. He took the listener to hitherto unknown depths of music, something that only geniuses can do.

I miss your divine music, Srinivas. Waiting for your successor in the music field, here on earth, while you entertain the Gods up there.

No comments:

How can India aspire to be a thought-leader?

Two seemly disjointed happenings triggered this article today.  One – I was walking down an old alley here in Singapore, where a signage in ...