Sunday, November 20, 2022

Meaning of "Aparna"

Out of the blue, I was intrigued by the name Aparna. Decided to dig a little deeper.

I know that in Sanskrit , "parna" means dried leaf. I also know that in the Vedic period, the rishis used to construct "parnashala" , ie, a "hall" or a camp, built of forest products - tree branches for support, and dried leaves for tiles. This used to look like a hut, with high ceiling. And under that, they used to conduct vedic rituals. Once the ritual event is completed, they then used to burn down the parnashala! 

A-parna, to me sounded like " one who is not a dried leaf!"   Did not quite make sense. So, I was spending the better part of the sleepy afternoon, trying to make some sense out of this. 

Sundar Pichai, of course, helped me, as almost always. He led me to this canto 5 stanza 28 of Kalidasa's Kumarasambhavam. Kalidasa confirmed to me that Aparna is the name of Parvati  - as someone who let her body wither away if Shiva was not forthcoming in marrying her. 


स्वयंविशीर्णद्रुमपर्णवृत्तिता परा हि काष्ठा तपसस्तया पुनः।

तदप्यपाकीर्णमतः प्रियंवदां वदन्त्यपर्णेति च तां पुराविदः॥

Svayamviseernadrumaparnavrttitaa

Paraa hi kaashtaatapasahtayaapunah

Tadapyapaakeernamatahpriyamvadaam

Vadantiaparneticha taampuraavidah.

"By enduring all the ordeals, by means of Vratam, harsh on her body tender like the lotus-stalk, Parvathi surpassed the intensity of penance of all sages".

And then , I realized Lalitha Sahasranamam too has "aparna chandika chanda..."   "aparna" here literally translates to " one did not even consume dried leaves while performing austerities".

So, I got the transliteration done. Now what? Does anyone who carry the name Aparna desist from consuming dried leaves? Is that all? 

I now interpret it this way. This name Aparna indicates One who is resolute, and will be determined to go the distance, to make things happen the way she wants. Sign of a strong-willed woman. So, now, in my lexicon "Aparna= Strong-willed woman"

Thoughts?


PS: 

My father used to love snuff powder at one point - and then went one to become " Aparna" after he had visited Kaashi, symbolically drowning his last snuff box in the Ganga.  :)












No comments:

The World Series

I don't know how many of you had watched the World Series match last night, between KKR and King's Punjab. I did, fully, to the last...