Sunday, January 6, 2013

Give it back



On the wall hung a calendar of the year bygone
I told myself – “New Calendar, time to bring you on”

Time for me, I thought, to get a little verbose
Time for me, to ask Old Calendar to depose.

“Give it all back” I started telling Old Calendar
I really went for the jugular.

“Give me back all the times I had,
The good, interspersed with the bad.

Give me back those jet-black hairs
In whose place that odd silver streak flares.
Give me back the perfect skin on my cheek
That the sun tan made look bleak.”

“Give me back those precious moments
Of which I had cared not to keep counts
The time wasted in empty talk
Or a mere purposeless beach-walk.”

“Those gossips, jealousies, leches, sadness
Empty platitudes, formal courtesies
Vain bravado, foolhardy escapades
Didn’t they all take me closer to my decease?”

“Time for you to pay it, black and blue,
For, I considered you a friend, but time just flew”.

Old Calendar seemed to give me a meaningful smile
This almost made me jumpy and rile.

“Sorry, I do not think I can oblige
For, time always does escape the siege
But my successor has now here with you
Ask him at the end of this year, for all that is due”.

No comments:

The World Series

I don't know how many of you had watched the World Series match last night, between KKR and King's Punjab. I did, fully, to the last...