Saturday, September 28, 2019

hijr

I was reading some Urdu poetry.  Obviously, in Hindi script, since I do not know the read the Urdu script.

The word "hijr" came up, in one of the verses. Out of curiosity, I digged deeper. And understood, that, in the context of the poem, it meant " separated from loved ones" .

In Tamil Nadu, we call eunuchs or transgenders as அலி.   In North India, they are called Hijras. Quite often in a derogatory sense.

I realize something, when I put the words " hijr" and "hijra" together. A hijra may mean that the individual may be physically be separate ( ie, having a a separate identity) from near and dear ones.

But it also puts the larger societal practice of disowning the hijra infant in the picture. Throwing him/ her into dustbins, or in unattended places, fearing societal pressure and poverty. Hijr may then mean both a physical disconnect, as well as it's accompanied social ostracisation. I mean, the word by itself implies that they are to be disowned, unloved, and uncared for.

What is their fault, in all this, of DNA plays traunt? If genetics goes awry, why are these unfortunate people being punished?

Whenever I see a hijra ( அலி) , I feel really sorry for their plight.

"  TODAY, I FOUND A NEW-BORN BABY IN THE DUSTBIN.

HE NOW HAS A LITTLE SISTER, FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE".


Heart-wrenching


No comments:

The World Series

I don't know how many of you had watched the World Series match last night, between KKR and King's Punjab. I did, fully, to the last...