Sunday, February 5, 2023

Palinthuvo Palimpavo

This song by Thyagaraja Swamy is in Ragam Kanthimathi  , the 61st Melakartha Ragam. A lovely and melodious raagam, and the poet has exploited the versatility of the raagam very well, bring out the emotion in the song very well. Enjoy! 


Pallavi

======

Paalinthuvo  paalimpavo,

Baagaina  balku balki nannu


Paalinthuvo - will you protect me? 

Baagaina. - very well

Balku balki nannu - talk sweetly to me


Will you, or wont' you, protect me, though you have been talking sweetly with me as always.


Anupallavi

========

Yelaagu ninnaadu konna nera,

Mencha pani ledhu naadhu pai nee


Yelaagu  - if somehow.  ninnu - you

konna nera - if I found any blemish

Mencha pani - not a big work (fault) ledhu - is not naadhu nee pai - by me on you


Even if in someway I have found blemishes in you,

Dont consider it a big fault on my part.


Charanam

========


Paramaarthamagu nija maargamuna,

Paradesi kundu aana theeyagaa,

Paripoornamagu bhakthi maargame 

yani bhaavinchina Thyaagaraajuni.


Nija maargamuna - true path

Paramarthamagu - towards the Paramthama (supreme being)

paradesi - noble soul from afar 

kundu aana theeyaga - was taught sweetly by

Paripoornamagu - completely

Bhakthi maargame - only the path of devotion

ani bhaavinchina - so considered

Thayaagarajuni - (this) Thyagaraja 



(Would you not protect this Thygaraja)

Who is following  the true path   ,

Which would  lead to the Supreme Being ,

Taught to to him by a blessed  sage,

Considering that it is the path of devotion.

No comments:

The World Series

I don't know how many of you had watched the World Series match last night, between KKR and King's Punjab. I did, fully, to the last...