Wednesday, February 6, 2013

God is everywhere



Hinduism has mostly believed in the concept of God existing everywhere. सर्वव्यापि (Sarva Vyaapi) is a word that is commonly attached to this concept. That means God exists everywhere - in gutter as well as in Ganga.

On my recent visit to Rishikesh, I was shocked to see the amount of pollution of the Ganga, even in Rishikesh. 

I was wanting to drink the water, but was warned not to do so, since it is no more considered "healthy" enough. I simply steeled myself for a moment, and still drank the water. But clearly, I was squirming, rather than feeling good during that act, which was meant to be the Raison d'être of my visit.

Standing in knee-deep freezing water I reflected for a moment, the fate of mother Ganga downstream.  "How pure would she be by the time she gets to the 24 parganas?"

Probably our political masters perhaps would like us to live the concept of "god is everywhere" in real life- after all, Hinduism is a way of life. They want us to see God in the gutter, and want us see God in the Ganga. And what more? They are mixing the two unabashedly, and still want us to see God!



No comments:

The World Series

I don't know how many of you had watched the World Series match last night, between KKR and King's Punjab. I did, fully, to the last...