Saturday, March 16, 2013

The train


I vaguely remember
The casual acquaintance
We had made
Decades ago

In a train compartment-
With very little
Common topics
On the go.

You had been pouring
Over the magazine,
As if you were
Preparing for an exam
The next day.

And I was looking askance
At the beauty of nature
As  if the last day
Of my life
Was on it's way.

The most uneventful
Train journey, since the
Tracks were invented, perhaps.

Not in my wildest dreams
Did I ever conceive
That Fate would
Bring us together again,
After all these years
In oblivion.

In a similar moment
In a similar train
In a similar journey
In similar circumstances.

This time though-
The train has changed
beyond recognition.

The co-passengers
are different.


But now-

The only book
You want
To read
Is me.

The only gaze
In my eyes
Is you.

Is this serendipity,
And nothing more?
A meeting
That would make
The laws of
Probability
Proud?

Or
Is this yet another
cruel game of fate?
Is this gaze flattering
Only to deceive
At the end?

Or
Are we the
Proverbial
Long-lost lovers,
Who cannot
Wait to
Wallow in those
Wasted decades?








No comments:

The World Series

I don't know how many of you had watched the World Series match last night, between KKR and King's Punjab. I did, fully, to the last...