Thursday, June 20, 2013

A surreal experience




A surreal experience
---------------------------------
Something incredible happened today. I headed to the gymnasium at the Shangri-La hotel, Jakarta, where I am staying, to do my morning walk. On this bright and sunny morning, as soon as I hit the treadmill:

The panoramic view
from the treadmill
got me to focus
On this place of worship.

My feet were in motion
My body was
Pumping adrenalin steadily.
My mind, though,
was trying to search-
Search for the unseen
For the unknown,
For the unfelt.

In my mind,
The minaret instinctively
Gave way to
The Tower of a
Temple-
Right in front of me
Right in the same frame.

Almost involuntarily
My lips started muttering
"Om Namo bhagavathe Rudraya
Namasthe Rudra Manyava Uthotha ishavae Namah..."

It was as if
The treadmill waited for my
Chanting of the SriRudram
to be completed.

The treadmill did stop.
So did my chanting, eventually.
It felt
Like coming back to the Earth
from Orbit.

For a moment,
I wondered,
"Is this blasphemy
in any manner?"

Maybe? Maybe not?
All I knew was-
I had surrendered
To the supreme being
In the only manner
I know of (The Vedas).

At the very moment
I looked at the beautiful
White Minaret,
The Formless
had formed in my mind-
And drove the Rudram
on my lips.

Transcending religions
Traversing structures
Trampling upon symbolisms.

To me then,
Trying to frame
The Limitless
Into one stereo-typed
Symbolism or regimen
seemed
but an exercise
in futility.

-D-













No comments:

The World Series

I don't know how many of you had watched the World Series match last night, between KKR and King's Punjab. I did, fully, to the last...